I've been doing a fair amount of knitting lately, although it may seem that I haven't. The two projects I'm working on have been going slowly, and despite all the work, they keep looking pretty much how they did a couple weeks ago when I showed them.
Yesterday I spent a couple hours watching a silly movie and knitting, and finally finished the first side of Betty and got it up to the neck shaping of the second side, when I discovered this:
Can you see the color difference? ARGH!! So frustrating! Especially since all five balls I bought of this color were the same dyelot!
I was pretty upset about it yesterday, and had to set the thing aside, but this morning I turned it inside out to inspect it, and I've found that the middle ball - the one between the ribbing and the beginning of the armhole - is the culprit. So I'm going to rip the whole thing out and start over.
I could just rip it back to the ribbing, but I've decided that I'm not really crazy about doing this in the round, strange as that may sound to some knitters. I'm not happy with the way the shaping in the rib lies. To be honest, a big part of the reason why I did it in the round in the first place is that I hate sewing up ribbing. Other seams don't bother me, but I find ribbing to be kind of a pain. But this just doesn't look good.
Luckily, I only really need four of the five balls I bought to complete this sweater. I always buy an extra "insurance" ball, and it looks like this time my policy paid off.