I've been slowly working on a Robson coat, but yesterday I was seized by a desire to make up a pattern I've been wanting to make for the last 2.5 years: the Burda Striped Top.
This pattern was in the September 2011 issue of Burda magazine, which I bought in Turkey (and thus, in Turkish) during Self-Stitched September of that year! I've wanted to make this top and the maxi dress which uses this bodice ever since.
My fabric came from Morgan in my first Stash Diet Swap back in January. I knew when I asked her for this fabric that I'd use it to make this top for spring. I didn't get right to it because it didn't seem like spring would ever arrive. But all of a sudden it's here, and it's time to get busy on all those spring sewing plans in my mind!
It took me almost exactly two hours yesterday to trace, cut and sew this top - pretty darn quick! I traced a straight size 38, and effectively took 1" off the length of the sleeve by not adding a hem allowance, and 4" off the bottom. The given length would have hit me mid-thigh!
This top is a slimmer fit than I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing - it makes it better for tucking into skirts, but it still looks good over pants.
I tried my best to match the stripes, and mostly succeeded.
But the way the top is drafted meant that I had to choose whether to match the stripes done the sleeve at the top or the bottom. Of course I chose the top - so the underneath doesn't match up. I'm OK with that.
I did my hems and around the neck with the coverstitch machine; everything else was done on the serger. Here you can see the slightly denim-y quality of this French terry fabric.
I had a coffee date with Alicia this morning, and since it is lovely spring weather today, I wore this top with a floral skirt. Believe it or not, I felt kind of hot! Good thing I got this made up before it turns into summer! (Skirt is old, from Anthropologie.)
So this is the first of the eight pieces I need to make to atone for all those fabric purchases I made. Hehehe!