This may be the only Scout out there made of sequins. As Miss Lulu told me on Instagram: "When you arrive late to the party, you need to make a fabulous entrance!"
This is the last piece of fabric from my Sequin Fabric Buying Binge of 2013. I got it from JoAnn's in their Black Friday sale for $12 a yard. It looks like it's still available too, although not at that price.
Although this was my first time using the Scout pattern, I wasn't too concerned with fitting, as this is basically a stable knit fabric. The shoulders looked good, so I gave myself a 1/4" broad back adjustment, graded from a 2 at the bust to a 4 at the hip, and then did the "full back alteration" for the full look I wanted with this top. I think if I do this in a woven in the future, I will have to give myself more room in the hip for the unaltered version.
I had quite enough of cutting sequins out of seam allowances back in 2013, so I decided to fully line this one. The lining is attached at the neck and sleeve seams, and open at the hem. I'm so glad I did this - it makes a huge difference in how comfortable this top is to wear.
I sewed the whole thing on my sewing machine using a narrow zigzag stitch. Because I didn't cut away any sequins, I did end up breaking 3 needles in the making of this top :-( Still - a fabulous, vintage-looking sequin top for $20 + 3 needles! A bargain! (The lining cost me $8 - almost as much as the outer!)
I left the bottom of the lining unhemmed:
I was looking through my jewelry and found this old necklace from Anthropologie that I think looks just great with this:
I'm really happy with how this one came out - it's exactly what I had in mind. I do believe this will be coming to NYC with me, so I'm going to try to remember to take modeled pictures in situ :-)