I had assembled and traced the pattern yesterday so that everything would be ready when I wanted to sew. I made very few adjustments; I did the bodice in a straight XS, and tapered the skirt from XS to M using my hip curve. When I go to put in the elastic at the waist, I'll use the length for the S.
After Hubby went to work, I got busy ironing my fabric and cutting out my pieces. I'm not 100% convinced this style will work on me, so I got some fabric I like a lot, but which was not expensive: a nice silk twill with lots of drape in a coral pink color:
|This picture makes it look more pink than it really is.|
There were only three yards of it left, so I bought all three. It's nice to know that I have some leeway in case something goes wrong!
It's not the easiest fabric to work with - it's somehow sticky and slippery at the same time. Not too unusual for silk, I guess. I seem to have traded fitting headaches for fabric headaches.
I spent the first half hour applying interfacing to the facing pieces. I bought very lightweight knit interfacing, which I had never used before. The lady at the fabric store told me that I should soak it in hot water for 20 minutes and hang it to dry. She claims that will prevent it from bubbling. It went on like a charm, and I really like it - it gives just enough structure without interfering with the drape.
As I was working, I serged all the edges that needed it.
After a couple hours, I felt like my attention was beginning to wane. I'm very proud of myself that I put everything away rather than push through. I think when I keep going even though I'm tired, that's when I start to get careless. So here it is, in my staging area (a.k.a. the guest bed) waiting for another day:
|This one is more color-accurate.|
I've been daydreaming about which shoes to wear with this, of course. IF it looks good on me.