Sunday, March 18, 2012

Good riddance.

I'm making headway on my crafty to-do list.  Today's task was to finish up the Jasmine I took apart a few weeks ago.  You may remember I'd planned to turn it into a camisole.  And so I did; it's still not perfect, but it's better than it was, and at least I can use it as an under layer for something.


Here's what I did:

1.  Made bias tape out of some of the remaining fabric.  Started with an 11" square, and then learned that it only works with even numbers.

2.  Starting from the top of the V-neck, took in 3" at center front, tapering down to nothing at the hem.

3.  Tried it on and with soap, traced a camisole shape on the front.

4.  Took it off and cut open the shoulder seams, then cut along the camisole tracings and cut out a curve along the back.

5.  Applied bias tape to the edges, starting from the right top, across the back and ending at the left top.  Then separately applied the remaining tape to the center front section, letting the tails extend to become straps.  Ended up with a bias tape seam just off center in the front and decided to ignore it.

6.  Tried it on and discovered the bias tape made the underarms flare.  A lot.

7.  Took in tucks at the back where the straps attach, to take up excess.


8.  Called it a day and crossed it off my list!

And now I can continue with item number three on my weekend list, which is making some headway on my sweater.  I'm about 2/3 done with the collars (yes - plural) and maybe 5/8 done with the belt.  Getting closer!

14 comments:

  1. It's a Save ! ! !
    Gorgeous Color ! ! I may have said that before.
    Your finished 'save' cami is A-Okay.
    Give yourself a gold star, Gail.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color is the saving grace of this thing. If it weren't for that, I would have pitched the whole thing, because this fabric was so hard to work with!

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant idea !! Such a pretty colour - it would have been criminal not to save it. I would imagine that the bias cut of the Jasmine would translate into a lovely camisole :-) Great job ! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kirsty! I wish it had been as successful as your Jasmine, but now I know that I need to go down to a size 0 on that one. Yeesh!

      Delete
  3. Well done! How brave of you to hack it into something else! lol! I'm not that confident... yet! It looks smashing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty fun cutting into it, I must say! Take that, Jasmine! Whah - chah!!!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Someday I'd like to make a "real" cami, starting from scratch! I think it would be a lot easier!

      Delete
  5. Like Gerry said, I am so glad you saved it. And hooray for getting to work on your sweater. I think I am about ready to cast off and then block mine,[my fingers are crossed] just in time to pack it away as temps are in the mid 80's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I know it's been kind of a long road for you, so I'm glad you're almost done with it!

      Delete
  6. That looks lovely! Great save! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that little cami will be a great accessory to so many of your beautiful outfits! Woo hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! So cute! Glad you were able to rescue this lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete