Yesterday I made my honey his "summer guitar shirt."
Not much to say about this one really, since it's the same as the one I made him in January, only with short sleeves. Hubby picked out both these fabrics back in December. It had been so long since I ordered them, I kind of forgot how bright this one is!
I had a little trouble cutting this out, because after washing, some holes developed about 3" in from one edge. I was trying to keep the rows of guitars on the same plane across the front of the shirt, but because I had to shift my pieces around to avoid the holes, I ended up not having enough fabric left for a pocket that would match, and I also wasn't able to make the button bands line up with the print. I've had this problem with holes developing more than once, and they're always a few inches from the edge. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong when I'm washing and drying my fabric, or are there inherent weaknesses in the fabric? And if so, why are they always near the edge?
One thing I am happy with is that I think I'm getting better and better at sewing curves. On this shirt, I managed to get both sleeves attached without catching in any of the body fabric or making any little "pleats" in the seam. I've learned that I need to go very slowly, stopping often to readjust my fabric and constantly feeling with my fingertips to make sure there isn't any extra fabric underneath the seam line. It does take time, but I don't think it takes any more time than unpicking a seam once or twice to redo it, as I used to do on every single sleeve!
I'm hoping to squeeze in one more sewing project before niecy-poo comes! I also have a couple unphotographed FOs - you know how that goes!