In order to do that, I had to shift - yet again - the Clover muslin that's been sitting on top of the box since March, just waiting for me to cut a new waist band and finish them. That thing has been taunting me, so I decided to just get to it. And here they are:
|With my vintage Shirt of Awesomeness!|
I like them so much more than I was expecting to. I'm not a huge fan of this cropped length (which I accidentally cut when making the muslin - I thought I was making the longer ones), but the fit is really great. And I'm proud to report that things went much better this time, zipper-wise. I did a few things differently from how I normally do, and the result was just perfect. And I do mean perfect: this is my best invisible zipper insertion ever.
1. I cut a strip of lightweight fusible knit interfacing about a 1/2" wide and fused it along the sewing line for the zipper. This fabric has a lot of stretch, but doing that took care of my waviness issues! Thanks to all those who suggested that in the comments after I finished my red ones!
2. Instead of trying to make the top end crimp of the zipper line up with the 5/8 waist band seam line line I usually do, I pinned the end of the tape level with the top of the fabric. That means that the crimp is now buried inside the seam, and I think it's much neater that way. It was also easier for me to line up the second side to get a perfect match side to side.
3. When sewing in the zipper, instead of trying to go beyond the pull with my zipper foot, I stopped sewing just before my foot reached the pull. That made it a lot easier when I came back later to finish the seam, and took care of the gaping I usually get toward the bottom of the zipper.
4. I was also able to get a much better press of the curved zipper by using my new ham - even though it's only half full so far! I really can't wait til it's finished!
Now that these are finished and looking so great, I'm wishing I'd done a better job from the get-go. I'm not really in love with this color, and because it was only meant to be a muslin, I didn't finish any of the seams - and I used red thread because I was trying to finish up a spool! Despite all that, I think they're wearable.
I've been trying to get a lot of sewing done because I probably won't be able to sew at all once my niece gets here. Besides these pants, I took pictures of three new finished tops today, so those will be coming up over the next few days!