This one wasn't nearly as hard to narrow down as the hits!
1. New Look 6071 in brown
This was my third and final try with this pattern. For the first two, the fabric I chose was a little too thin; on this one, the cotton/lycra fabric was too thick, and incredibly, too stable. As soon as it was off the machine it was too tight for me in the hip area. I did wear it once with the sweater, but felt uncomfortable the whole time. This one has already been donated.
2. Burda 02/2013/#127
The problems: inappropriate fabric, wrong style for my body
This project was fraught with problems. First the fabric arrived mangled, thicker than I expected, and a yard short. I thought I could save it with this pattern, but sadly it just wasn't for me. I have seen so many cute versions of this pattern out there in blogland, and I have to choke back a tiny sob every time I do. I don't mind having broad shoulders, but I don't want to look like a linebacker! Not a good style for us broad-shouldered gals. This one has also been donated.
3. Burda Emily Shirt
The problems: poor fabric choice, poor fit
I got really gung-ho about making shirts last spring. At that time, I was still suffering under the delusion that I could get a perfectly fitting shirt if only I had the right pattern. I chose this Burda download because I could have it immediately, and because I'd gotten a pretty good fit on the Burda coats I'd made.
But this pattern was just really weirdly drafted. The fit was wrong in so many places. Added to that, I'd decided to try a fabric with a significant polyester content, thinking, "Lots of people wear poly - I can too." Folks, I'm a natural fibers gal. I tend to perspire easily at the best of times - this fabric didn't let me breathe at all and just made me really hot and sticky. Such a pity, because I think hot pink dotted Swiss is a pretty great thing. I wore it once and then donated it.
4. Victory Patterns Anouk Dress
The problem: poor fit
I know - it's so pretty! Even with my funky fitting fixes! After spending so much time planning this dress and then executing it, it was really a let down that the fit was so bad. I did wear it once, but it was a pretty uncomfortable experience - the front of the armhole digs into my flesh. I'd like to revisit this pattern now that I've taken the fitting class. Next time we go to Turkey, I'm going to take this along with me; my sister-in-law commented that she really liked it, so if it fits her (she's smaller than I am) I will give it to her. I couldn't bear to put this one in the donation pile!
5. Midi Length Ballet Dress
The problems: poor fabric choice, lack of correct undergarment
I liked this dress OK - until I wore it. Because it's so long, and because I don't have a slip of a similar length, it kept sticking to my tights and getting hung up. And I've already discussed how the fabric is too thin so it's not super flattering over the lumps and bumps. Still, it's very comfy - this is the dress I wore when I did the three-hour drive to Michigan a few weeks ago. I haven't yet decided what to do with this one.
When I look back over my knit projects, I feel like a lot of them have problems because the fabric I got in my online order isn't what I was expecting. This one was listed as a heavier weight, but I would call it a light mid-weight. I've gotten disappointed enough this year that I haven't been tempted to order from Girl Charlee for a very long time. Which is probably a good thing, as my stash overfloweth.
No surprise here: my major problems are with fitting and choosing the right fabric. I've started to tackle my fitting problems; now I need to get better at picking the right fabrics!
And finally, as a special end-of-year treat, I leave you with this:
Remember to check your pattern placement, folks!