|from last year's orange Renfrew|
I was pretty excited, because although these weren't the first undies I'd made, they were the first successful pair. I used Cloth Habit's Rosy Ladyshorts pattern - the same one everyone uses but I linked it up for you anyway.
After I wore them once, I told my friend Andrea that I didn't think I'd be using the pattern any more, lovely and clear as it is. I felt it didn't give me enough bum coverage, because I've been used to wearing full on boyshorts for probably 20 years. But I loved the colors of these, so I wore them a few times more and they kind of grew on me. And even though they feel to me like they ride up, they really don't - they stay put. So I dug out a bunch more leftovers and cut out 5 more pairs.
And then they sat on one of the tables in the "sewing room" (it's really the guest room but even Hubby has taken to calling it the sewing room, since my sewing stuff has pretty much taken over). Because the truth is, I don't really enjoy sewing undies. But I like wasting fabric even less.
Having them sitting there as UFOs started to bum me out, so on Sunday I got busy sewing them up. And I learned some things.
First off: when you start getting skipped stitches and your zig zags stop zigging and zagging, it's time to consider using a stretch needle. Now, I've been sewing long enough that I know the first line of defense against wonky stitches is a new needle - or the appropriate needle. Do I take my own advice? Rarely:
|But I probably should.|
Secondly: if you're going to off-road it and try to construct an unfamiliar garment without looking at the instructions, you should probably check the alignment of your pieces after pinning and before sewing. And especially before serging - because let's be honest: who picks out a serged seam? Not me:
|An inside-out lining, giving me a serged seam right in my nether area.|
And here's your PSA:
Poor Pattern Placement: not just for chests any more:
|This actually really cracks me up.|
If you've made these, you may notice that I stitched down the front of the lining too, with a zig zag stitch. On the first couple pairs, I couldn't get the leg elastic sewn on without keeping the lining from getting folded over, so I innovated that little trick.
Well, I got all the kinks worked out on the first two pairs. Yes, it took me two pairs. But now I have five fun new undies. Or, Fundies, if you will:
|from "ikat" mission maxi|
|from floral stripe dress|
|from raining dots kimono dress|
|from "Hawaiian" mission maxi*|
|from pucci swirls dress. muahahahaha|
My camera just couldn't get the color right on the Hawaiian pair without the flash, even though it was a sunny afternoon. Here's the real color:
And I think I'm done sewing undies for the time being.