We've had an unusually cool summer here in Chicago, which has been great. But over the weekend temps started to climb back up to normal, and are expected to stay there all week. I was a little bummed about that, because it meant I wouldn't be able to wear my new Hemlock tee again for a while.
So yesterday evening I got out my leftover piece of floral linen knit and my Scoop Top pattern to see if I could make a hot-weather top, and I juuuuuust managed to squeeze it out! Yay! I cut out my pieces and turned up and fused the sleeve and bottom hems, so everything was ready for me to sew together this morning.
I had so little fabric that I wasn't able to be concerned about pattern placement, but it came out OK. Another couple inches to the right though with that big red rose, and I would have been in trouble! I actually like the back a teeny bit better, I think because it's rosier:
I didn't coverstitch around the neckline this time because by the time I remembered I needed to do that, I'd already put the machine away and didn't feel like getting it out again! I can add that later though if I need to. I also didn't use any stabilizer at the shoulder seam because I wanted this one to be as drapey as possible.
This is the fourth Scoop Top I've made, but the first on which I've added the pocket. I used the last little bit of stretch lace from my lace Renfrew - I've been saving it to use as a pocket on something. I think it goes nicely with the old lady vibe of this fabric. I added it with a long zigzag stitch on the regular sewing machine. You can't even see the stitching because it sinks into the lace, but from the back it will be really easy to pick out if this top bites the dust and I want to re-use the pocket. Yeah, I think about things like that.
The pocket isn't really that narrow, I just couldn't get it to hang flat! That's how drapey this linen knit is!
So: two new tops from a two-yard length of fabric. I call that darn good!