Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Weirdest Thing I've Ever Made

Let's see if you guys can figure out what it is:


No?  How about if I show you the back:


Still no?

OK - how about now?


Hahahaha!

This is Hubby's big ol' beer stein.  He keeps it in the freezer so that when he wants a beer, he has a nice frosty glass to drink it from.  He also likes to fill this big boy half with orange juice and half with flavored carbonated water - quite delicious.

For years, we've just been wrapping the freezing handle in a dish rag, but the other day he asked me if I could come up with a more elegant solution.  "Of course,"  I said.  And here it is.

Believe it or not, I used my shirt-making skillz on this one.  I have three layers of fusible fleece in there; in order to get it to curve, I cut 1/4" off the width of the inside fabric piece and eased it to fit the outside piece, giving it a slight curve like a collar.

This is my second go.  I didn't measure before making my first one - just kind of eyeballed it - and it was too tall and not wide enough.  On this one, I initially sewed my velcro pieces to the single layers of fabric before sewing the thing together, all fancy-like.  But when I tried to put it on the handle, it didn't feel sturdy enough.  You have to pull really tight to get this . . . stein handle cozy? . . . onto the handle.  I made it that way on purpose so it wouldn't slip around like the dishrags used to.  So I unpicked the velcro tabs and sewed them through all layers of the . . . stein handle cozy.

So, what do you think?  Will I start a new trend?  Should I make a bunch of these and sell them on late-night TV?

This thing cracks me up!

22 comments:

  1. Ha ha! That's great. I think you could definitely set a new trend with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see you now on late night T.V. Oh wait! I'm never up that late!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Me neither! Better come up with a different plan!

      Delete
  3. Stein handle cozy! Totally a thing now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, it's the classier uncle of the beer can cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, my stomach hurts so much from giggling ~ love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You better trademark this thing pronto. Seriously, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, how creative and handy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's hysterical! and seriously nice of you. i'm sure if my husband asked, my response would be along the lines of-- "deal with it hon." love it though, it's genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. This is great - and yes, my husband would totally want one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I can see this in SkyMall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so adorable! Heehee, you two are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, this could be a new business for you! I love that your husband knew you could upgrade his rag-on-handle trick! So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahahahahahaha! Too funny! But it's oh-so-practical!

    ReplyDelete