Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pip, Pip, Cheerio!

Well, I've done it again!  The new Kim Hargreaves sweater I started a couple weeks ago is no more.


Things were going pretty well - I got gauge with my yarn substitution and was liking the fabric.  But as I got close to finishing the back, I realized that the fabric I was creating really had too much drape for this design and it wasn't going to hang the way the original did.

So now it looks like this:


I'm starting to think this yarn is a little doomed.  This was my third try with it.  I originally bought it to make Chicago, but when I did my gauge swatch I just wasn't digging the fabric.  And you already know about my recent attempt at Lou, and now this one.  I feel a certain pressure to make just the right sweater with this yarn, because it is my favorite color and one of my all-time favorite yarns, which has now been discontinued.  So I may revisit the Chicago sweater - there are so many lovely versions on Ravelry.

And I'm hoping I'll eventually do the Pip sweater, because I think it's such a great design.  The yarn it calls for, Rowan Handknit Cotton, is one I've used before and liked, so I'll go that route in future.  I should have known to trust Kim!

Meanwhile, I've turned my knitting attention elsewhere . . .

13 comments:

  1. Oh no! What a pain, I hate it when that happens.

    I just got the new KH book yesterday and want to make almost everything in it! I think I'm going to start with Edgy, and your yarn is the exact colour I want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we each have at least one skein of doomed yarn, I know I definitely feel your pain! Chicago is such a cute pattern, I would love seeing your version of it! I'm just as excited to see your next knitting project though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet we all have some "doomed" yarn in our stash (that gets re-stashed and re-stashed). I just know that those little beauties will find the perfect pattern one day ~ perhaps you'll have to design that pattern yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :( Well, it will get used someday in a project that is just right. Yarn keeps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't give up on the yarn ! You just haven't found the right patten yet.
    One of the things I like so much about knitting is that it is so easy to rip something out and if I don't like what's happening with a pattern I still have usable yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...that sucks!! I hope fourth time's a charm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a bummer! i suppose the nice thing about knitting is that you can take it apart and still use the yarn, as opposed to sewing where a wadder is generally doomed... hope you find the right pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, shucks but a greater pattern is meant for this yarn! See ya tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a bummer. Still - it feels so good to rip it when it isn't working. At least you still have a chance to enjoy the yarn .. thought about making something up yourself? You'd have a good feel for the drape/gauge etc now .... it might be telling you what it wants to be?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know the "not quite right" knitting project situation well. Right now, for instance, I have a half-done Calmer pullover waiting to be frogged because it's not doing anything for the yarn - and it's the second go-around for this yarn, too. Then there's the FOURTH iteration for some black-and-grey Rowan Plaid. This yarn has twice made it as far as 3/4 done (a couple times I gave up sooner) until I accepted that the project was just boring and would never be worn. And I know and love Plaid, having made a successful garment, no delays or false steps, the first time I worked with it. But this batch is somehow jinxed. Go figure!
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww I'm sure you'll get it perfect next time! Good point about drape though. I want to make this drapey long cardigan:http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/new-york-cardigan and at first I thought "oh I can sub in pure wool, it'll be cheaper". But now I'm thinking it won't have the elegant drape and softness if I do that. On the right track?

    Anyway I admire your frogging courage. I don't know if I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, boo! But you're wise to not keep forging on with a project you're not liking-- it would be so much worse to frog a finished project! I hope you find a good pattern for that yarn soon. It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounding a little English again there with your title! ;-)

    I know exactly what you mean about the yarn pressure. I have the same thing with my cursed Habu N-80 which I just frogged out of my Obsidian last week. (I am going to try again with an Organic by ANKESTRICK).

    Surely we will find just the right fit one day...?

    ReplyDelete