I spent about a half hour yesterday working on my Allegheny dress. I needed a little down time - I'd pretty much spent the previous two days cleaning the house top to bottom, because the rest of Niecey-poo's family is joining us today!
Anyway, it occurred to me that maybe I should try the thing on, now that I've started on the skirt portion.
Don'tcha just love bathroom mirror shots? No matter how clean you think you've gotten it, some spots always show up! (upper right!)
Anyhow, I'm mostly happy with the fit so far. I did add a little length to the torso (about a half inch) before the ribbing at the waist, and I wish I'd added even more, but it's not too bad. The bulge just under the turtleneck bothers me a little, but I'm hoping that won't show as much once I've got a big scarf wound around my neck inside the collar, as in the pattern photo. And I will need to do that for more than just style - this wool is definitely not "neck soft." And I happen to be a delicate flower.
I'll likely do a few extra increases at the skirt side seams, to take the bottom measurement up a size. And I'll definitely be lengthening it quite a bit - I'm thinking 2 - 3" above the knee will be just right. I haven't decided yet on how long to make the sleeves (although I'm leaning toward three quarters) and whether to do ribbing or a folded hem at the bottom. I've seen so many lovely versions with all these variations, it makes it really hard to choose!
Posting is likely to become sporadic starting tomorrow, as I'll have a house full of people for the next two weeks - people who have never been to Chicago! So much to do and see! Niecey-poo and I made a chart of activities the other day; I love it that she shares my love of organization!