After months of threatening to make a Renfrew tee, I've finally done it!
Two weeks ago, I made a big order of knits in preparation for finally getting to this pattern. I'll admit I was a little fast and loose with my clicking on Fabric.com; I didn't fully read each item description, and consequently some of the fabrics were a surprise when I opened the box.
Like this one. I'd thought the polka dots were going to be about a quarter of this size, and my first reaction was that, like Bubbles DeVere, I'd probably rather go naked than wear this print. So I decided, what the heck - I'll use it for my first go of the pattern. No great loss if it doesn't work out!
Imagine my surprise when I finished sewing it up and quite liked it! I actually think it will be darned cute with jeans, although I can't say for sure because I'm in my house-cleaning grubbies today (because that's what I really ought to be doing.)
This top was so fast and easy to make. I traced the pattern yesterday, which took less than a half hour, and then later in the day spent another 20 minutes or so cutting out the fabric. I sewed the entire top this morning in less than an hour and a half. I did skip a few steps though . . . I didn't have any twill tape, and decided not to bother with it since I'd thought this one was probably destined to be a sleep tee. And I didn't topstitch the neckband down because I like how it looks without the topstitching, so I'm going to see how it wears (and washes) this way.
I sewed the entire thing on my serger. It was so much easier than I was expecting it to be. I did 2 little test seams on scrap fabric, and everything seemed fine, so I just went ahead and got started. I didn't even change my needles out to ball points! Although in truth, they are probably ball points by now because I haven't changed the needles once since I got the serger!
I made the size 6 top with no adjustments - Sewaholic's size 6 matches my measurements exactly! I chose the neckline of View A with the sleeves of View B. The fit on this top is close, but not tight - just right in my opinion. This fabric ended up being thinner than is recommended; it's a rayon/polyester blend, and quite soft and drapey. I was worried that might cause me problems, but it really didn't!
I'm so happy with my first experience sewing knits. I was nervous because so many people say it's difficult, but I found it to be quite easy. I'm hoping it's not just beginner's luck! I can't wait to make more of these.
I'm also happy with my first experience with Sewaholic patterns. I really like Tasia's layout and design, and the instructions were clear and concise.
Champagne! Champagne for everyone!