I finally finished the back of Winnie the other night. It seemed to take longer because this one has a different shape: at the armhole, you increase instead of decrease, resulting in an exaggerated drop shoulder. So instead of going faster after the armhole, it went slower!
Actually, armhole is a misnomer. There's only a marker where the armhole shaping starts.
The great thing about knitting two-row stripes is that you can carry the yarn up the right side. But it can make the shoulder shaping fussy. I used my normal method for weaving in ends to carry the color not being used to the position where it will need to be to start the next stripe. That way I avoided having a lot of ends to weave in at the shoulders!
I also used Elizabeth Zimmermann's method for making the shoulder bind-offs more of a straight line rather than steps. To do this, you work the last two stitches together on the row before the bind off, and then after you turn the work, you bind off one fewer stitch than the instructions say, because you took care of that stitch in the previous row. I don't always use this technique, but I felt that it would make sewing these shoulders together a little easier.
You can see that the tops of the shoulders are rather curved. I'm very interested to see how this all comes together!