After four days of work, I finally finished my raspberry silk Jasmine top today.
I hate it.
I was trying to work slowly and carefully, but I had such a hard time with this fabric. I'm not sure what fabric it is, exactly; it's a lightweight plain weave silk. It was very slippery and hard to keep hold of, especially since much of this top is on the bias.
The end product is fraught with problems. First off, it's way too big on me, even with my industrial-strength bra. I did the same size as last time, size 2, but I think I have to finally accept the fact that I'm a size 0 up top.
Both times I've made this pattern, I've really struggled with getting the collar to lay nicely. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. If I make it again, I'll be doing it in a cotton voile to see if a little more grip in the fabric helps things along. I think I'd also better do a fair bit of research on sewing bias-cut garments. I clearly have room for improvement in this area.
I also made a very stupid mistake, but by the time I realized it, I was already "in hate" with the thing, so I just let it go. Because there's no clear right or wrong side to this fabric, I made two right sleeves. So of course the gathers at the top don't fall where they should on the left sleeve head. I'm going to blame the fact that I've been a little under the weather the last couple days. Yeah, that's it . . .
I did learn a valuable lesson though. Inspired by Lizz over at A Good Wardrobe, I decided to hand-baste the sleeves in before sewing them down, and boy, did that make a difference. I think it actually saved time, since I didn't feel like I was struggling to keep hold of everything. Thanks, Lizz!
So - another fail.
At least I have the satisfaction of crossing it off the list!