You may remember me mentioning last week that I wasn't 100% satisfied with the machine tailored under collar I made. I got a lot of wrinkling on the outside after I steamed it into shape on the ham.
In retrospect, I shouldn't have trimmed away so much of the canvas interfacing. And I should have worked harder to position everything nicely to allow for turn of cloth. Honestly I think that is much harder to do with this technique than with hand tailoring, but I should have at least tried. I got too gung-ho about cutting away the canvas at 5/8" all the way around.
I considered making a new under collar using fusible interfacing. But I do like how the collar stand looks with this stitching. So I decided to see if I could press the piece into shape. I pressed, and I smoothed the bubbles into the crease between the stand and the fall:
And then I pressed and smoothed some more:
And I think that's acceptable now. Remember that this is cotton twill - if I'd used wool, it would have been even more cooperative! So I'm going to use this one, and just not pop my collar. (As if I would anyway!)