This past weekend, Hubby and I headed to Michigan for a get-together with my Dad's side of the family. I decided I wanted to wear something new and spring-like, but I was afraid to wear my new Roxanne: too many kids and too much food and wine around!
So I made myself a new Archer, but with a twist this time: this one is pop-over style. I've been wanting to try this out for a while, as I love the look of a pop-over shirt. I started out being a really good blogger, taking pictures as I went so I could show you all how I did it.
I narrowed the sleeve by 3/4" each side, and then made a 15" long tower placket.
Then I started to sew that placket on:
And then I realized that the next bit - the trickiest bit - would never show up in this crazy fabric! So, tutorial abandonned! But I will be doing this again in a chambray, so I will take lots of detailed pictures of that one. I have seen some comments that people fear the tower placket, but it's really not that hard to do.
Anyhoo . . . My good blogging intentions were further abandonned over the weekend. We left home at 6:15 Saturday morning, so I promised myself to have someone take my picture once we were at my aunt's house. Of course, I spent the whole day yacking with my relatives, eating and drinking, and totally forgot to get a picture of the entire outfit! The closest I got was this picture:
This is a picture my brother took of my niece and me. I trimmed her out because I don't think it's cool to post pictures of other people's kids on the interwebs. Better safe than sorry :-)
So, what you guys get is a picture of my rumpled shirt. It kept me comfortable and stylish all day long.
I thought it was interesting that I got comments from a lot of non-sewing people about my "excellent pattern matching on the front." They were impressed that I centered that butterfly (or as I like to call it, booberfly, due to its position). I should have just said, "Yeah, I'm that good." But instead I found myself explaining how the front is cut on the fold so no matching is required.
The reason I narrowed the sleeve is that I left off the cuff so I could do this:
But it turns out that narrowing it by 3/4" each side was too much for me, so I'll add some back in next time.
I was a little disappointed that the front placket kind of gets lost in the print, but I feel the overall shirt is a success.
Of course, this is more of the Anna Maria Horner Field Study voile, Sinister Swarm in Vivacious.
Here's the collar, also getting lost:
This shirt actually ended up taking less time than it takes me to make a "normal" Archer, despite the placket. I left off the pockets and cuffs, and I only had to make 5 buttonholes on the placket and one each on the button tabs for the sleeves. I left off the buttonhole on the collar stand because it will never get buttoned.
I LOVE making shirts, and it was really fun to do this one with a few changes to the style. I can't wait to do it again, but I think I will have to as I've got more travel in my near future, and I really need to finish that Robson trench I've been working on for I don't know how long!