* My muslin was a size 6 bust, size 8 waist and hip with a 1" swayback adjustment, and as you know, I felt it was a little large. So for this dress I made a new, size 4 bust/size 6 waist bodice muslin. The fit was great - as long as I didn't need to move. At all. And I do tend to move quite a bit. So I made a second muslin in a straight size 6 with 3/4" swayback adjustment, and that's the size I've landed on. Obviously, I didn't bother to muslin the skirt. I could probably go back up to the 1" swayback adjustment, but it's OK this way too.
* On the day I finished this dress, the fit was really great, but I guess I was having a "skinny day" yesterday - it felt a little loose! Can't win for losing! But I really like it, and it's good to know I can fill up my tummy while wearing it :-)
**EDIT** I forgot to mention for those of you who have yet to try this pattern: according to the envelope, my waist falls into the size 8, but this size 6 waist feels fine on me, and I abhor any tightness around my waist. Granted, the waistline seam hits a tiny bit above my natural waist. I wanted to include this to give you guys an idea of the fit. I still struggle with knowing what size to make when I'm trying a pattern for the first time, and always look for this kind of information online before making my muslin.
* While the skirt felt like A Lot Of Fabric when I was making the dress, it felt very light and floaty while wearing it yesterday - to the point of me wondering whether it was hanging correctly. And I even had a slip on underneath! I felt a tiny bit exposed. But I always seem to feel this way in my home-made dresses and skirts - I wonder why?
OK - pictures! These were all taken in the Lurie Garden next to the Art Institute.
|from the back so you can see where it hits the calf|
|and a closer look at the print|
Even though this fabric is cheap (and I mean that in both senses), I really love the print. The background is a very pale yellow-green, with feathers and roses in dark blue-grey, dark and light olive green, pink and fuchsia. When I bought it I had no idea what to do with it, but at $3 a yard, I couldn't pass it up. This dress ended up being a great match, because the structure of the bodice doesn't break up the print. There's a big rose on my right shoulder (which I put there on purpose) - but sadly, my hair is covering it up in every single picture!