Even though I haven't completely finished the stripped yardage needed for the feathers, I decided to start cutting them. I'm hoping to be frugal enough with my prints that I can have some fabric leftover for making bags.
I'm making the Twin Size, and the pattern calls for 5 1/2 yards of background fabric. That sounded like an awful lot to me, but I ordered that much anyway because I'm a novice at this kind of thing. And I figured I would be able to use any leftover for . . . making bags! But in cutting out my background pieces I used all but about 3/4 yard - and that's with very frugal cutting, sharing edges.
Each block consists of 2 feathers, and each feather consists of 9 pieces of fabric (if you count the stripped feather piece as one). I need 38 feathers for the quilt. On Saturday, I sewed off and on throughout the day and managed to complete 4 feathers:
I loves them.
It felt really good to get some forward movement on this quilt. Andrea has committed herself to working on her quilt every Friday, and I'm going to try to do the same. Only 34 more feathers to go!